EMILY HOYT nashuatelegraph.com NASHUA – In the game of tag at the Charlotte Avenue Elementary School, no one gets to be “it.” The elementary school has banned kids from playing the childhood game during recess, tagging safety as a concern. “We want them running, we want them jumping and releasing the energy, but just in a safe way,” Principal Patricia Beaulieu said. Last week, Beaulieu posted a letter on the school’s website and on a school Facebook group informing parents of the school’s safety policies. “The traditional recess game ‘tag,’ involves one or more players chasing other players in an attempt to ‘tag’ or touch them, usually with their hand,” Beaulieu wrote in the letter posted Oct. 4. “Seems innocent enough, however the force with which students ‘tag’ varies greatly, and this game, in particular, has been banned in many schools in the United States due primarily to concerns about injuries.” Beaulieu said the school rule for recess has always been “no contact,” and the game of tag violates that policy. The letter was posted in an effort to re-emphasize recess rules, she said. At least one parent has complained and others have questioned the policy in the Facebook group for parents and teachers of the school. “Tag is one of the oldest playground games anywhere,” said Bill Chisholm, 43. “To ban tag is just ridiculous; it’s a simple game. to read more click here: nashuatelegraph.com
Sign up for our free e-mail list to see future vaticancatholic.com videos and articles.