A McDonald’s customer was far from ‘lovin’ it’ after being served a cup filled with salt instead of a milkshake. Angry Ron Luffman, 49, said he was ‘physically sick’ after swallowing the salt following a trip to a drive-thru restaurant in North Cheam, Surrey. ‘I sucked hard on the straw in my milkshake because they’re usually quite thick and – wallop! – I’ve got about four teaspoons of salt in my mouth,’ he explained. ‘I was violently sick because I’d swallowed that much salt. Where I sucked it up through the straw it went straight to the back of my throat and I couldn’t help but swallow it. I was sick right there. ‘I was very sick and then I haven’t been feeling too clever for the whole weekend – but what if this had happened to a child? This could have killed a kid.’ The catering business manager called at the London Road McDonald’s with his wife before a visit to their son last Thursday. ‘I was fuming so I went into the restaurant and I opened up the cup to show them … it was a whole cup full of salt,’ he added. ‘I was so angry I poured it out on the counter. The boy who served me was there and he just looked at me and said “it wasn’t me”. ‘I think one of them has done this deliberately. Why would salt be in a drink cup?’ A spokesman for McDonald’s said an investigation has been launched into the incident. ‘The quality of our products and the well-being of our customers is our number one priority. We apologise to Mr Luffman for this genuine error and for any upset caused,’ he said. ‘The restaurant will be asked to review their procedures to ensure that this does not happen again.’
Sign up for our free e-mail list to see future vaticancatholic.com videos and articles.