A father-of-three choked to death on a McDonald’s cheeseburger when he tried to eat it in one mouthful, an inquest has heard.
Darren Bray, 29, told friends to ‘watch this’ before putting the 99p burger in his mouth during a night out.
Soon after he put it in his mouth he went blue and started choking on the cheese burger.
Sam Bisgrove said: ‘He picked up the burger and rolled it half and then said “watch this” before putting the whole burger into his mouth.
‘I could see him trying to cough it up and he was making horrible coughing noises. I tried to hit his back to help him clear his airway.’
An inquest was told that Darren, of Barry, South Wales, ate the burger at a friend’s house after drinking cans of beer.
Sam’s girlfriend Amy Bennett said: ‘Sam said he was going to McDonald’s on his way back and Darren asked him to order him a cheeseburger.
‘Darren took his burger and rolled into a ball then pushed it into his mouth.’
Paramedics arrived at the house in Barry, South Wales, and performed CPR on Darren.
But they were unable to restart his heart and he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Dr Rhiannon Trefor told Cardiff Coroner’s Court that Darren died from a blockage to his airway.
Sign up for our free e-mail list to see future vaticancatholic.com videos and articles.